The present organ was added in 1966. It is a baroque organ built by the Gress-Miles Company with 19 voices, 27 ranks, and 1552 pipes.
In 2000 a ramp and other changes to this space made it wheelchair accessible.
The balcony was added in 1827.
St. George’s Columbarium, completed in 2012, is located in the sanctuary of the church nearby the Baptismal font and the Altar. It contains 36 single niches and 18 double niches to contain the cremains of parish members and others from the wider community. The cost of the single niche is $600 and the double niche, $1,200.
Burial spaces are available in this sacred and historic site. For more detailed information about the Columbarium and how you may utilize it in your funeral planning, call the parish office, (845) 561-5355.
The John Brown Room celebrates St George’s longest serving rector (1815-1879). Rev. Brown built the church, oversaw the creation of St. George's Cemetery on Washington Street, and was a founder, along with the women of St. George's Church, of St. Luke's Hospital. He died in 1884 at the age of 94. The JB Room is used for meetings and for hospitality after worship services. On the wall are portraits of JB and his wife Frances Ludlow Brown.
The stained glass windows were added in the early 20th century. Two them are Tiffany windows.
The chandeliers were installed in 1966, a gift of a member of St. George’s.
A copy of the original church charter from King George III is hanging on the north wall.
St. George’s has connections to significant figures in the history of Newburgh and the history of New York State. The Rev. John Brown, rector of St. George’s for over 60 years, planned and built the church, founded many other parishes in the Hudson Valley, and was a founder of Newburgh’s St. Luke’s Hospital (http://www.newburghhistoricalsociety.com/a-man-for-our-time-the-rev-dr-john-brown-d-d/) During construction, he and church members visited a stone quarry to haul stone themselves – he referred to these trips as “stone bees.”
The church building was consecrated by John H Hobart, Bishop of the NY Diocese at the time and for whom Hobart College is named. Prominent individuals associated with St. George's church include Judge William Fullerton (1817-1900), a member of the defense team of "Boss" Tweed, and Homer Ramsdell (1810-1898), director and president of the Erie Railroad. Robert Blair (1762-1841), one of George Washington's personal bodyguards during the Revolutionary War, is buried in St. George's cemetery.
During the 1960’s and extending to the 1990’s, churches and other organizations in the neighborhood fled to the suburbs following urban renewal. The Dutch Reformed Church across the street and former Newburgh YMCA down the street from the church are sad examples of this. In contrast, the parishioners of St. George’s made a decision to stay in the heart of the city, and over time added outreach programs to meet the needs of the neighborhood.
A Bit of History:
St. George’s Episcopal Church is the oldest church in the city of Newburgh. The church was established in 1729 and a charter was granted by King George III in 1770. However the church was virtually non-existent for several years following the Revolutionary War, after the first rector, Rev. John Sayre, a loyalist, fled to Canada. The church building, an impressive masonry three bay Georgian style structure, was constructed starting in 1817 and was consecrated in 1819. The church was enlarged in 1834 and the steeple was added. Stained glass windows, two of which can be attributed to Tiffany studios, were added during the late 19th and early 20th century.
St. George's Church is located within the designated East End Historic District in the city of Newburgh. It is situated in a high visibility and high traffic area near the Newburgh Public Library, Orange Community College, and the historic Dutch Reformed Church (now vacant).
In 1835 the baptismal font was presented to St. George’s by Trinity Church in NYC.
The statue of St. George is a memorial to a parishioner killed in WWII and is carved in English linden wood.
The parish hall building also includes parish offices, rooms used for the twice a week food pantry, and the upstairs used for youth programming and Sunday School.
The mahogany reredos is a memorial for a member lost in WWII. It frames the entrance to St Paul’s Chapel, a space created when St. Paul’s church closed in 1946 which contains stained glass from the former church.
The original church building extended up to approximately the altar rail of the present nave.